Railton And Districts Attractions
Visitor Information (White i )
• Looking Glass Cottage – including large range of brochures
• Topiary over 100 topiary in various locations in Railton – free maps available from most shops in town.
• Chainsaw carvings x 3
• Looking Glass Cottage “Fibre Optic Magic”
• Seven Sheds Brewery & Meadery
• Murals – 6 murals in town painted on shops & buildings mainly depicting the history of the area as a part of Kentish – “Tasmania’s outdoor art gallery
• Trout & Fly fishing
• Bush Walking – see Walking Tracks
• Swimming (nearby Mersey River)
• Fishing (nearby streams & Mersey River)
• Cycling (also velodrome at Recreation ground)
• Squash courts – open to public
• Tennis courts – open to public
• Recreational facilities/sport – Football / Cricket / Bowls
• Picnic/BBQ’s – see Parks
• Topiary Trail – over 100 topiary to see
• Sykes Sanctuary – Rock edicts Download Flyer
• Stoodley Forest Walk (& Redwater Creek Falls) Download Flyer
• Part of the Tasmanian Trail – (horse, cycle or walk from the North to the South of Tasmania)
• Lions Park (Free Electric BBQ, covered picnic area with tables & seats, toilets)
• Railway Park – picnic area
• Goliath Park (children’s play area & toilets)
• Self Contained Motor Home Park & Outdoor Gym Park
Other attractions within the area
• Warm Springs at Kimberley
• Youngmans Road Dulverton – Tours
• Anvers Confectionery (Bass Highway) – between Devonport and Latrobe
• Latrobe – Axeman’s Hall of Fame, Platypus Capital of the World
• Cherry Shed – Latrobe
• Sheffield – “Town of Murals”
Railton History Go To Railton History Page
• Wide Main Street – said to be one of the widest main streets left in Tasmania, as Railton had the only railway station in the district back in the 1900’s the bullock teams needed to turn in the main street when farmers brought their produce to the railway station.
• Cement Works – Commenced at Tasmania Cement Co. back in 1924.
Now owned by Cement Australia and is one of Australia’s leading cement manufactures producing over 1.2 million tonnes of cement per annum.
• Railton Lime Works – The site of the old Railton Lime Works is on Latrobe Road, Railton. The first Lime kiln was operating around 1870 and was owned by the Langmaid family.
• Sykes Sanctury – left to the young people of Railton by Norman Sykes – one of Tasmania’s original environmentalists Download flyer
Any updates required to this page can be sent to RADDAi or Lyn Richards