History of Railton
Railton was first surveyed in 1853 and soon had an hotel, 3 churches, a school, telegraph station and a local turf club. Early settlers lived in slab huts and were mainly occupied in farming or timber cutting. One feature of particular note is Railton’s very wide main street. The street was this wide to accommodate the bullock teams making their way to the Railton Railway Station to load produce at the only railway in the Kentish district at the time. By the 1900s Railton was a flourishing timber trade centre and had 2 sawmills. The railway line to Railton was completed in 1885.
Cement Australia at Railton is one of Australia’s largest cement manufacturers, producing more than 1.2 million tonnes of cement a year, and is one of the North West’s leading employers. The history of the Company dates back to 1923 when as Tasmanian Cement, cement production began. Goliath Portland Cement Co. Ltd. was formed in 1928. In 1989 Goliath became a wholly owned subsidiary of Australian Cement, a joint venture company owned by CSR and Hanson, operating as Australian Cement Holdings. The name of the company was changed to Australian Cement in early 1999. In 2002 a merger was announced between Australian Cement Holdings and Queensland Cement Limited. Cement Australia is the name of the new company formed as a result of the merger as of 2nd June 2003, with the name Goliath now only applying to the cement produced. Production has increased from a few hundred tonnes a day in the 1920’s to a rate of over 3,500 tonnes a day currently. Over 90% of the cement produced is transported to interstate terminals, with 10% sold in Tasmania.
Railton Lime Works
The Site of the old Railton Lime Works is on Latrobe Road, Railton. The first Lime kiln was operating around 1870 and was owned by the Langmaid family. The Limeworks ceased operation in the late 1990’s.